I spent the morning messing around on the tank again. A little more sanding and some more feeling around for high and lows. We are getting closer each time. If i can get over my mess-ups on the bottom lines of the tanks and allow someone else to see them before its painted, I will just take the tank on over to Kenny’s next week to get some help getting it back to "perfect".
This afternoon Phil stopped by and we got the engine moved from the floor back to the bike stand and in the frame. I needed to get the engine back in there to start working on the mounts for the radiator and the new forward motor mounts.
For once it went smooth. I was able to get the motor into its 2 rear mount in around an hour. It would have been faster, but I had a little help from my little man.
Since we cut and stretched the frame, I had to cut off the forward motor mounts. The 110" engine has four large rubber mounts holding it to the frame. The forward lower mount isn't too much of an issue. The upper one is looking like a bitch. Once I have the lower done we will figure out if we can get by with skipping the upper one or if we are going to have to fab up something for it.
For the left side lower mount we just cut some 1/4" x 1" flat stock, drilled out some plug wholes for two 11/16" bolts and welded the bolts flush. (see below) Once we have the right side figured out, the flat stock + bolts mount will be welded to the inside of the frame and bolted to the extension that was used for the stock mounts.
Next with a little help from Dewey we will figure out the right side and post some pics of the first finished motor mount.