Fenders, Frames and Motors, Oh My!

Lots been going on over the last week or so. Here are some pics!

The rear fender after filling the old rear tail light and the old mounting holes for the side markers.

The rear fender after filling the old rear tail light and the old mounting holes for the side markers.

Honda VTX 1800 - Custom Fender Taillight Filled

Honda VTX 1800 - Custom Fender Taillight Filled

The tank, rear fender and the motor ready for paint.

The tank, rear fender and the motor ready for paint.

Some molding and sanding work on the frame after finishing all the welding.

Some molding and sanding work on the frame after finishing all the welding.

Frame back from the painters

Frame back from the painters

Engine getting ready for paint - all the chrome off

Engine getting ready for paint - all the chrome off

Taped up and ready for paint. We are going black with polished lower fins

Taped up and ready for paint. We are going black with polished lower fins

Engine painted! This is a bad pic but it looks great in person. Need to touch up one or two fins when it all dries, but it looks mean!

Engine painted! This is a bad pic but it looks great in person. Need to touch up one or two fins when it all dries, but it looks mean!

Rear Fender

Even after running out of oxygen for the torch and blowing the motor up on the compressor, I managed to get a lot done.

I spend most of Saturday working on a few little things (tacked in motor mounts) and then filling in a patch for the rear oem fender where the old tail light was.

Old stock hole for the tail light.

Old stock hole for the tail light.

Old Taillight Hole Closeup

Old Taillight Hole Closeup

Paper template for the piece needed

Paper template for the piece needed

Template Traced

Template Traced

Template Cutout.  Cut close to size and then finished afterwards on the grinder.

Template Cutout. Cut close to size and then finished afterwards on the grinder.

Test Fitting

Test Fitting

Welded into place - ready for blending

Welded into place - ready for blending

Gas cap in!

Little bit of a slow down (other projects) but finally got the welding on the tank done. Flush mounted the new gas cap and started a little bondo work to get ready for paint. There is a lot of sanding left to do here, but we will get it back to perfect in the next week or so. 


Tank Closed

Spent another 7 hours working on the tank last night. I now have the whole thing closed back up. Everything is tacked and now I have a TON of grinding and welding and grinding and welding and metal fill to do, etc.. 

Figure another 10 hours or so and I might have it back to looking "great" and ready for paint. 

There is a little issue right now. Looks like I got things a little too hot last night and now have one corner of the tank (bottom right) unlevel from the rest (by about 1/4" or so). Monday I'll have to figure out a way to "Square" it back up. 


Longer Tank!

Well we got some more done last night. 

The tank is now 5"s longer! I cut the damn thing in half last night. HA!

It took around an hour to strip it down and around another hour to get up the courage to really cut it in half. I was thinking about just skinning it, but in the end, I really wanted that bottom part to meet up with the corbin seat I already have. 

In the end my welding is better than my metal forming, so this was the right path for me. That plus I am going with 16 ga cold rolled for the tank, and that doesn't bend "easy"

Now I just ALOT of welding to seal this thing up. Maybe a couple of more nights and the tank will be done. 

Here are the pics from last night

Frame Mostly Done

Okay. I managed not to scrap my frame and build a whole new one!

I have the frame mostly done. The 4 1/2" extensions are all welded and cleaned up. The sleeves and shell work great for the bottom bars and the inserted sleeve + gusset worked well for the back bone. 

Here are the pics from last nights work. 

I have the frame about 70% sand blasted. Since I am waiting on the neck and springer front end I will start on the new mounting for the radiator and stretching the tank. 


Too Late Now

Well it's too late to change my mind now! The bike is all apart and the frame is cut in half!

I am stretching the frame 4" (I'm 6'8" and even with the 5" extensions for the forward controls, my legs are always up in my chest).

Then we are cutting the neck and welding in a 1" standard Harley neck for a springer front end. I haven't settled on how much we are racking it out, but it will end up out there a little bit at least!

Plans also include remounting the radiator on the inside of the frame, black out the engine, stretch the tank to fit the new longer frame and a new seat pan.

After all of that, its just bars, brake lines, paint and then putting it all back together!