Metalworking

Rear Fender

Even after running out of oxygen for the torch and blowing the motor up on the compressor, I managed to get a lot done.

I spend most of Saturday working on a few little things (tacked in motor mounts) and then filling in a patch for the rear oem fender where the old tail light was.

Old stock hole for the tail light.

Old stock hole for the tail light.

Old Taillight Hole Closeup

Old Taillight Hole Closeup

Paper template for the piece needed

Paper template for the piece needed

Template Traced

Template Traced

Template Cutout.  Cut close to size and then finished afterwards on the grinder.

Template Cutout. Cut close to size and then finished afterwards on the grinder.

Test Fitting

Test Fitting

Welded into place - ready for blending

Welded into place - ready for blending

Motor Mounts (and a little help)

I spent the morning messing around on the tank again. A little more sanding and some more feeling around for high and lows. We are getting closer each time. If i can get over my mess-ups on the bottom lines of the tanks and allow someone else to see them before its painted, I will just take the tank on over to Kenny’s next week to get some help getting it back to "perfect".

This afternoon Phil stopped by and we got the engine moved from the floor back to the bike stand and in the frame. I needed to get the engine back in there to start working on the mounts for the radiator and the new forward motor mounts.

Honda VTX 1800 - Stretched Frame - Fitting new motor mounts.

Honda VTX 1800 - Stretched Frame - Fitting new motor mounts.

For once it went smooth. I was able to get the motor into its 2 rear mount in around an hour. It would have been faster, but I had a little help from my little man.

Me and Nate in the shop - working on the bike.

Me and Nate in the shop - working on the bike.

Nate Maes helping out in the shop with Dad

Nate Maes helping out in the shop with Dad

Since we cut and stretched the frame, I had to cut off the forward motor mounts. The 110" engine has four large rubber mounts holding it to the frame. The forward lower mount isn't too much of an issue. The upper one is looking like a bitch. Once I have the lower done we will figure out if we can get by with skipping the upper one or if we are going to have to fab up something for it.

Old and New Motor Mount Locations

Old and New Motor Mount Locations

For the left side lower mount we just cut some 1/4" x 1" flat stock, drilled out some plug wholes for two 11/16" bolts and welded the bolts flush. (see below) Once we have the right side figured out, the flat stock + bolts mount will be welded to the inside of the frame and bolted to the extension that was used for the stock mounts.

New Mount Setup

New Mount Setup

New Mounts

New Mounts

Next with a little help from Dewey we will figure out the right side and post some pics of the first finished motor mount.

Dewey

Dewey

Tank - 90% done!

Well it’s been a long time since I starting this tank project by cutting it in half.

We spent a couple of hours last night doing some more body work and I think we are around 90% of the way there. It LOOKS like a tank now and it has been a while since it has done that.

I sprayed a light coat of cheap Walmart black paint over the top coat of bondo. When dry I'll go back out and block sand it down to get the high and low points. The high points will get sanded and the low points will still show the black paint.

After one or two more round of this I'll take the tank to my buddy Kenny for the finish. He's a body man around here and should have no problem getting everything back to "perfect".

Honda VTX Tank

I'll post some more pics of the tank after a couple of rounds of block sanding.

I also managed to make a quick stop over to Rick's shop to grab some flat stock. I picked up 19 feet of 1/8" x 1.5". I'll only need a foot or so, but its better to have some stock around the shop when you need it since its a little tough to get to him or PMS to get steel on the weekends.

Everything moved! again...

We'll it has taken the better part of 8 months but I managed to move 75% of my stuff 100 miles away and then back while only losing around a third of it!

The well laid plans of mice and men.....

Now that I am back in Chester and back with lea and my youngest son (Nate) I needed somewhere to go with all of the "shop" stuff and bike stuff.

I'd spent the last 4 years working out of my dad’s place. Since we aren't really speaking still, I needed somewhere else to go with it. Lucky for me, my house has a huge garage. And by huge I mean freaking tiny! 21 x 12. So I had to take everything that I had in the shop in St Louis (which was around 4,500 sq ft) and move it into a 252 sq ft space. Not only did it all have to fit, but it had to be usable otherwise I wont have my bike back together by spring!

After a couple of weekends of moving and packing and moving again, I have most of what I need in the "shop" to finish the bike. Forget all of the car stuff and engines and sheet metal equipment. I was lucky to get a couple of benches in there plus a compressor, some welding and cutting stuff, a drill press and my small mill.

Here is what it is looking like now.